Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Paleo Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs

Friends, let me tell you about the roller coaster I've been on. Will wanted to go on the Paleo diet, and I hesitantly agreed. Not that I have anything against it, but one of the foods it prohibits is dairy (and if you know me -- I love my yogurt, cheese, and I need cream in my coffee). But we agreed on a month trial run and it lasted one day when I think we both realized that not having grains was going to be an issue. But I did find many Paleo recipes that looked scrumptious -- just like this one!

To make the teriyaki marinade & dipping sauce, I started by mixing the wet ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup white wine (I used a dry wine)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp white vinegar



I poured the wet mix into a small saucepan and then added the other ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • black pepper for taste
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more depending on heat preference)



I brought the mix to a boil and then simmered it for about 5 minutes on low heat. I consistently stirred the sauce. I let the marinade rest for 10 minutes.


I cubed 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts and placed them in a gallon size zip lock bag. I then added the teriyaki marinade. Make sure you reserve some of the liquid to use as a dipping sauce.


I marinaded the chicken for 3 hours in the fridge, but you can marinade it for at least 30 minutes or overnight for maximum flavor. I diced up one red bell pepper and grabbed my metal skewers. If you are using bamboo/wooden skewers, make sure you soak them in water for 5 minutes.


I was going to alternate chicken and pepper, but then I realized that the chicken may not cook evenly with large chunks of pepper in between each piece of chicken. I did put one pepper piece at the end of each chicken kabob to secure the meat (otherwise it would slip right off).


All ready for the grill!


I spread coconut oil on the grill as it was heating up. It took about 15 minutes to cook the chicken and heat the peppers.


All done! The chicken was absolutely delicious and were so tender and juicy!


>> If you end up making this for dinner, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis


No comments:

Post a Comment