Monday, January 6, 2014

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

I was craving my favorite baked chicken recipe, but I was missing an essential ingredient -- cream of mushroom soup (condensed from a can).

I didn't want to venture out in the snow storm, so I thought I'd get creative! I knew I had mushrooms in the fridge and the other basic soup ingredients.


This recipe calls for:
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tbs onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 3 tbs flour, separately used
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup cream, or 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
To start, I rinsed and wiped down the mushrooms with a paper towel.



I then slices the mushrooms, stems and caps in-tact.

(Tip: Slicing mushrooms always reminds me to make sure my knife is sharp because they are so delicate! Most accidents in the kitchen occur from dull blades because you cut harder with a dull blade. Every time I pull a knife out for use, I sharpen it just a few times. To learn how, here is a great video.)


Then, I chopped up the onions and garlic.



I threw the butter in my 9 in skillet. You will need the surface area for the vegges to cook, but deep enough for about 3 cups of liquid.



I started to cook down the mushrooms, onions, and garlic.



They looked and smelled amazing after about 5 minutes.



I then added 2 tbs of flour to make a roux.



I mixed in the flour and then grabbed the chicken stock.



I used a low-sodium chicken broth so that I can control the amount of salt. I measured out 2 cups.



After adding the stock, I mixed the contents of the skillet to make sure all of the flour becomes incorporated.



While it was slowly thickening up, I got the cream mix ready.

I started with 1 cup of heavy cream. 


Then I added the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.









I used a fork to try and mix the dry ingredients, but looking back, I think I would use a larger cup/bowl and lightly whisk the cream mix.



I added it to the soup...



... and slowly stirred it until it thickened a bit more.



This soup smelled amazing and tasted even better!



It was the perfect treat on a cold winters day!


To see the mushroom and cornbread stuffing baked chicken recipe I used this for, click here!


>> If you end up making this for dinner, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis

No comments:

Post a Comment