Sunday, June 2, 2013

One Bowl Banana Bread

Two things I love about this recipe is that 1) everything is mixed in 1 bowl (easy clean-up!) and 2) it's very adaptive to additional ingredients (I'll talk more about this in a bit).

(Side note: you can talk old browned/black bananas and peel and slice them and store them in the freezer for future use.)

Okay, let's jump in because I cannot wait to share this yummy goodness!!

I mashed 3 browned bananas with a fork in a large bowl. They practically peeled themselves.


I added 1/4 cup (1/2 a stick) of softened butter. 


I measured out 1 cup of sugar (1/2 granulated white, 1/2 light brown sugar) and threw it in the bowl. I think in the future, I will only use 3/4 cup of sugar because it was a tad sweet -- but nonetheless delicious! 


I was preheating the oven at 350 degrees so I decided to roughly chop about half a cup of walnuts and 1/4 cup of coconut and toasted it in the oven until the coconut began to brown.


I added a 1/4 tsp of salt. For baking, I like to use popcorn salt because it is finer.


I added 1 tsp of baking soda...


... and 1 egg that was beaten. At this point I mixed all of the ingredients together.


I added 1/2 tsp of vanilla...



... and a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg.



I measured 1 1/2 cups of flour and threw the toasted walnuts, coconut, and a nice handful of chocolate chips into the measuring cup.


The goal here is to coat the "extra" ingredients so that when they are added to the wet ingredients, they will mix together well instead of clumping together. 

This is the part of the recipe where I could choose to add any other "extra" ingredients, such as macadamia nuts, rum, bacon, almonds, instant-espresso powder, marshmallows, and/or  peanut butter. Banana bread is sounding pretty fun!!


All mixed together!


I sprayed a loaf pan with non-stick spray and added the batter.


55 minutes later...


This banana bread was AMAZING! It turned out great and I'm excited to make it again soon :)

>> If you end up making this for dessert, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis

No comments:

Post a Comment