Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cranberry Sauce

I thought I would get a head start on Thanksgiving and prep as much food ahead of time, starting with cranberry sauce! This is the perfect side to make a day or two ahead.

I started by rinsing 12 oz of whole cranberries.


Over high heat, I threw the cranberries in a medium saucepan and added 1 cup of apple cider.
Of course, you could add cranberry juice, orange juice, or apple juice.



I then added 1 cup of pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup!).



I kept an eye on the cranberries while I zested one orange. It yielded about 1 tbsp of zest, but you can add as much as you'd like. 



Lastly, I squeezed about 1 tbsp of orange juice and added it to the cranberries.



I stirred the berries and kept it over high heat until they started to boil.



Once the cranberries were at a rolling boil, I turned the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes, or until the sauce was thick.



Once it cooled, I poured it into a storage container and stuck it in the fridge!



And if you happen to have leftovers, you could spruce up yogurt or oatmeal by adding some of the cranberry sauce!

>> If you end up making this, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis

No comments:

Post a Comment