Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cranberry Sauce

I thought I would get a head start on Thanksgiving and prep as much food ahead of time, starting with cranberry sauce! This is the perfect side to make a day or two ahead.

I started by rinsing 12 oz of whole cranberries.


Over high heat, I threw the cranberries in a medium saucepan and added 1 cup of apple cider.
Of course, you could add cranberry juice, orange juice, or apple juice.


I then added 1 cup of pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup!).


I kept an eye on the cranberries while I zested one orange. It yielded about 1 tbsp of zest, but you can add as much as you'd like. 


Lastly, I squeezed about 1 tbsp of orange juice and added it to the cranberries.


I stirred the berries and kept it over high heat until they started to boil.


Once the cranberries were at a rolling boil, I turned the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes, or until the sauce was thick.


Once it cooled, I poured it into a storage container and stuck it in the fridge!


And if you happen to have leftovers, you could spruce up yogurt or oatmeal by adding some of the cranberry sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment