Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dirty Rice

Will asked me to make dirty rice, and I had no idea what that entailed. So after some research, we threw ingredient ideas back and forth and came up with an amazing dinner idea!

I started by throwing 1 pound of ground chuck and 1 pound of mild italian sausage in a large non-stick skillet. I also got 2 cups of brown rice going in 4 cups of water in my rice cooker.

I then chopped up the rest of the ingredients! I used:
  • 1/2 - 1 cup fresh parsley
  • 3 baby portobello mushrooms
  • 2 stalks of organic celery
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
I minced everything to be around the same size for consistency.


After the meat was cooked through...



I added my beautiful vegetables. It already smelled amazing!



I held onto the parsley to add at the last minute. It tastes so amazing fresh!



I cooked the vegetables down and when the rice was done, I added it a meat and veggie mix. I added all but 1/2 cup of the rice because my skillet was about to overflow! I then added salt & pepper to taste.



Then I threw in the parsley.



A quick stir and we're done!



Filling and delicious! Can't ask for much more than that!

(Leftovers idea: Use the dirty rice as a filling for stuffed bell peppers! Just cut the tops off bell peppers and fill it to the brim with the dirty rice. Place the peppers in a baking dish. Then cap the peppers or pour your favorite marinara sauce over it and bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes!)


If you make your own dirty rice -- feel free to share how it went and how it tasted! 

>> If you end up making this for dinner, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis

No comments:

Post a Comment