Thursday, November 14, 2013

DIY: Burlap Napkin Ring

I just bought napkins for the Thanksgiving meal Will and I will be hosting -- but I just couldn't find napkin rings that I liked enough to buy. I called my friend Aly who suggested I make them from paper towel rolls! I love that girl - she is so creative!

After some trial & error, here are my finished napkin rings:


Supplies:
  • Burlap, or fabric/ribbon
  • Glue gun & glue sticks
  • Marker
  • Tape measure
  • Box cutter
  • Scissors
  • Paper Towel Roll


I started by marking the paper towel roll at 1 inch intervals.


All marked up!


Before I cut the rolls with my scissors, I had to make a small incision with a box cutter.


After making the incisions, the roll was super easy to cut.


The roll yielded about 11 rings.


I cut about 3/4 inch wide chevron burlap ribbon about 20 inches long.


I started by putting a dab of glue inside the roll.


I then placed the ribbon inside and made sure it was secure.


I then wrapped it around, making sure it was tight.


Then I added another dab of hot glue and continued to wrap the roll, overlapping just a little.



All done!


They are the perfect size for the napkins!


I tried different burlap fabric I had. I found that the burlap that had a painted print held better than plain burlap. 

I think it would be so cute to make these again but with a solid ribbon color and then add buttons!


They looked amazing on the napkins! 

And the cost? Practically nothing! I had all the supplies at home :)


If you make your own, let me know how they turned out! Feel free to include pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment