Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Two Pumpkin Pies from Scratch: Maple & Dulce de Leche

I went to Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch with my sister and we picked out pumpkins for each of us. I got some fun shots of us there!

While I was there, I grabbed a sugar pumpkin! I've never made pumpkin puree from scratch, so why not be adventurous!?

Here is my beautiful sugar pumpkin:



I started by taking a butter knife and prying the stem off.



I then cut the pumpkin in half.





I scooped out the seeds and fibrous pumpkin strings.



I then quartered the pumpkin and laid them on a foil lined baking sheet with a lip.



I poured about a cup of water in the pan and then covered the pumpkin with aluminum foil.



I threw the pumpkin into a 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, depending on the size. When you pierce the meat with a fork and it goes through smoothly -- that's when you know its done.



The skin should basically peel itself.


I put the sugar pumpkin meat into my food processor and let it rip!



Beautiful! It's ready to go for all your pumpkin recipe's!



Prepping the Pie Shells:
I started with a frozen deep-dish 9 in pie shell and lined it with foil (if you have dried beans or ceramic baking beans, go ahead and fill up the pie shell with them). I then baked my pie shells in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.

I then reduced the heat to 350 degrees and got started on the fillings.

Maple Pumpkin Pie Recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup half & half
  • 6 tbs pure maple syrup
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 6 tbs packed brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 tsp flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preparation:
  • In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, add half & half, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
  • In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, brown sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
  • Add egg mix to pumpkin mix and whisk until blended.
  • Bake 1 hr 5 min, or until the filling is puffed around the edges and the center moves slightly when shaken.



Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Pie Recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 15 oz pumpkin puree
  • 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp allspice or nutmeg
Preparation:
  • In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and spices. 
  • Whisk in eggs to the mix
  • Bake for about 55 min or until filling is puffed up.




They were so yummy in their own ways! The maple pumpkin pie was more traditional and the dulce de leche pumpkin pie almost had a flan taste to it. Definitely making them again!



>> If you end up making this for dessert, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis



No comments:

Post a Comment