Saturday, August 24, 2013

Lemony Ricotta Summer Zucchini Galette

I got a beautiful zucchini from my mother-in-law so I looked at what I had in the fridge and was inspired to try something different.

I started by cutting thin slices of zucchini. You could also use squash and/or a mixture of both zucchini and squash.


I sliced about 2 1/2 cups of zucchini.


I laid them out on the cutting board and sprinkled the slices with salt.


I transferred the zucchini to a colander and let them drain for about 15 minutes. I added the salt to pull out any moisture in the zucchini so when the galette bakes -- it won't be soggy.


I sprinkled some flour on a large piece of parchment paper.


I rolled out refrigerated pie crust... 


... and rolled it to a 12 inch diameter. I then moved the parchment paper & dough to a baking sheet and set it aside while I made the ricotta mixture.


For the ricotta filling, I started with 3/4 cup of ricotta and threw it in a large bowl.


I added 1/2 cup of grated parmesan...


... and a 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.


I minced 1 garlic clove and added it to the ricotta mixture.


To the mix, I added 1 tsp of olive oil.



I grabbed a lemon and grated about 2 tsp of lemon peel. Make sure you only grate the yellow skin -- not the white rind, which is bitter.


I then also added 1 tbsp of lemon juice.


Of course I also ground 1/4 tsp of both salt & pepper and made sure the filling was well incorporated.


I poured the filling out on the pie crust...


... and spread it on the dough leaving a 1 1/2 inch border.


I prepared an egg wash, mixing 1 egg with 1 tsp of water. I set that aside for the last step.


I had Will pat down the zucchini slices with a paper towel and layered them on the ricotta mix.


Almost ready!


I drizzled the zucchini with some olive oil.


Then, I gently folded over the dough's edge.



And then applied the egg wash with a pastry brush along the dough's edge.




I baked the galette in a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges were golden.


Will and I agreed that it was so light and refreshing! Definitely something you could make ahead of time and eat chilled as well!



>> If you end up making this, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis

No comments:

Post a Comment