Wednesday, June 17, 2015

DIY No-Sew Knot Headband


Will and I went the the 3 French Hens market and I saw these super cute knot headbands - but they were $12 each. Will said that it looked like something I could make. The only problem was that I don't have a sewing machine :(

So I went to Target and found some stretchy jersey adult headbands. They came in a four pack and were $4.79. I also bought Singer Stitch Free Fabric Glue for $3.89. (Though I'm sure you could use hot glue as well).


Steps (from bottom to top):
  1. (Multi-colored) Original headband with no alterations.
  2. (Pink) I cut the headband in half on both sides of the sewed seam.
  3. (Black) I made a curved template and cut the edges so that they were curved.
  4. (Gray) I turned the headband inside out. 


This is the fabric glue I used. After you use it, it needs to dry for 24 hours. 


I glued the curved edges together, leaving just a few millimeters of room along the edges. 


Steps (from bottom to top):
  1. (Multi-colored) I cut a small slit in the middle of the headband along the sewed seam. 
  2. (Gray) I pulled one end through the hole.
  3. (Pink) I pulled the other end through the hole.
  4. (Black) Completely flipped inside out and turned over. 


I double knotted the headbands and made sure the knot was pulled tight. The seam is on the inside of the headband, so that little hole I cut is not visible. The circumference came out to be 12 inches, which is the perfect size for newborns and all the way up to 3 months!


Pictures of my sweet baby girl Lucy wearing the headbands!


Need somewhere to store the gorgeous headbands you made?! Check out my DIY Headband Holder.


--UPDATE--

Guess who FINALLY got a sewing machine? And I'm putting it to WORK! >> Want to purchase bows that I've made? Check out my Etsy Shop, Elle Dee Bows!

>> And follow the Instagram Page! (IG: elledeebows)


Mythical Creatures Bow Bundle

6 comments:

  1. You can hand sew a stretch stitch. I don't have a sewing machine but I regularly sew super stretchy fabrics by hand with a simple stretch stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the SUPER late reply -- but that is a good idea! For others who don't want to use the glue, that is a great alternative! Is a stretch stitch simple to do?

      Delete
  2. CUTE! Thanks for the tutorial... I might try making a few! One of my daughters chopped her hair this summer too... VERY short... too short for headbands, but I love that the hair isn't in her face anymore though, I can't stand that either. :)

    Zia
    I found the best Seattle Senior Living website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zia! So sorry for the VERY late reply -- but I hope you did try and make some for your daughters! My daughter hasn't chopped her hair off (yet!) but she was chewing on her hair (no idea why..) and it made the sides much shorter, so we had to even it out, which made it much shorter than it was :( But hair grows, right?!

      Delete
  3. I am so confused. What was the hole in the middle of the headband for? Do you happen to have a video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The hole in the middle is to flip the headband inside out. Once the ends are sealed, you need a way to invert the headband, so that is what that hole is for. I hope that answered you question :)

      Delete