Friday, July 26, 2013

Chicken Gnocchi Soup


Will loves the chicken gnocchi soup from Olive Garden, so I wanted to re-create this satisfying soup for my hubby!

I used about 1/2 a yellow onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic...




... and minced them.


Will pulled the chicken meat off of the rotisserie chicken -- it yielded about 2 cups of meat.



I melted about 2 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of EVOO in a large pot.




I cooked down the onion and garlic mix until the onion was translucent. 



While the onion and garlic was cooking, I took 5 stalks of celery and sliced them pretty thin.



I then added the celery to the pot.



Once the celery was cooked down, I added 2 more tbs of butter and 4 tbs of flour to make a roux. 



When making a roux, it's important to continue to stir the mix so that it doesn't burn and thickens correctly.





After the roux is ready, I added a quart of half & half and the chicken.






While the soup was warming up, I gathered enough carrots to make about 1 cup of shredded carrots.


I peeled the carrots...



... and continued to use the peeler to make nice shreds of carrots.



I then added the carrots to the soup.



At this point, I got the seasonings ready. This soup needs 1/2 tsp of salt, thyme, and parsley. And lastly, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.



After adding the seasoning to the soup...




... I grabbed the package of potato gnocchi from the pantry.



You just add them to a pot of boiling water. They don't take long to cook!



When they're done -- I added them to the soup.



I then added 14 oz of chicken broth (no sodium!) to the soup. You could add more top make the soup less thick.



All done!! And I swear it's better than Olive Garden!



I paired this amazing soup with a garden salad filled with romaine, artichokes, heart of palm, red onion, green pepper, shredded mozzarella, and croutons.


>> If you end up making this for dinner, tag me in an Instagram post -- @marriedtodavis or #marriedtodavis

No comments:

Post a Comment